Scooch.. no its Cyndi... no its Scooch!!!

The words why oh why Delilah come to mind.

I dont watch National Finals for the simple reason, all I want to know is who is representing their country and I dont want to watch songs that I will never hear again, but I had to watch the UK National Final, simple reason there was nothing on TV on a Saturday night so BBC One was staring at me.

Anyway, I was really shocked by the winner but you can see what the BBC and public are trying to do.

The Show

"It's been 12 months since the British public sent the cock-eyed optimist Daz Sampson," Terry en tones and I think they will be waiting another 12 months.


"Gone are the days when lyrics and a flash of the thigh is enough to win," Fearne explains. Spectacle, costumes and traditional dance help," she continues. "The gimmick is best when it works as a surprise with the song," Fearne tells us in an effort to create informed voters while clips from various performances are shown. I have a feeling there were pushing the public don't you think??

"Since it is a song contest sometimes a good voice is what counts," she finishes while the viewers are treated to clips of Chiara and Hari Mata Hari. Terry questions Fearne's enthusiasm and suggests she may have been promoted to the post of host too soon.

The Songs of the night were:
Liz McClarnon-(Don't It Make You) Happy!
Brian Harvey - I Can
Cyndi-I'll leave my heart
Scooch-Flying the flag (for you)
Hawkins and Brown - They don't make'em like they used to

In a nice touch there is a jury of representatives from all over Europe who vote on their choice. This is of course a telling exercise because UK viewers can't vote for themselves in May. Big Brovas win the international jury vote.

The Results
The results surprised me a lot. Going home are: Brian and Liz. I knew Brian was voted out because he could not sing at all on the night, and Liz was a good singer, just the song didnt just hit the spot.

And the two going to the super final: Cyndi and Scooch. Big Brovaz and Hawkins & Brown just kind of disappear from sight. I think Hawkins was mad because he lost to Scooch. I think also he lost the public's trust when he said he was only in the Eurovision because of his failed music career.

(Ok here's the weird bit.)

When annoucing the final results, Terry grins and yells "CYNDI" ... while Fearne says "Scooch". Cyndi is so excited. Scooch look like they genuinly expected Cyndi to win, and they clap graciously for her. Then Terry says, "No, the winner really is Scooch."
Fearne: "I'm sorry Cyndi." Talk about the disappointment on Cyndi's face.
But I guess Terry was telling the truth - the second time - because he hands Scooch the tickets to Helsinki. And if there was any doubt Scooch is performing the winning encore of "Flying the flag".

You can watch the video's below.

The United Kingdom's chances?? well I dont know, they are in the final of course but I feel a poor result coming on. I wanted Cyndi to win, she would have provided a great result for the country. What were the public thinking?

You can scratch London 2008 from your list anyway.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OFFICIAL: The 2008 results of the Turkish back up jury

Kosovo: RTK wants to enter Eurovision as soon as possible