Eurovision 2008: Licking of the wounds begin

Well its over for another year, and I am not surprised at all by the result, you will remember earlier in the day, I mentioned that Russia had a good chance of winning on the grounds that going by the trend, every country that has won from 2001, has been first time winners, but I "believe" (See how I got the song in) it was a good song anyway, so those trends don't seem important.

I am just having a good nose around websites here. CNN covered the story really quickly after the contest. BBC News report covers their countries disastrous result coming last (Ireland feel your pain UK). Also their prediction of Sweden winning was totally wrong, but I was surprised that Sweden did come 18th tonight, was expecting way more. I was even more surprised to learn that only for the jury, she would not have been even in the final.

Of course, like every year like a broken record, The Eurovision fan websites are covering the same old "Bloc voting", "East v West", "EastVision", "
Western Europe Contest
" discussion. I could go on but I won't. You can read fan comments on the All Kinds of Everything, ESC Today and Oikotimes websites. I do agree that there is still an issue with voting in the contest. I must admit the semi - finals were fair which is why I have come to the conclusion that only the countries competing in the final should only vote, not all 43 countries, which is why the semi - final was fair and not the final tonight.

Anyway, well done to Russia, they were always hungry for it ever since they joined the contest in 1994 and were always so close to winning in 2000, 2003 and of course 2006 with
Dima Bilan who won tonight for the country.

Its look like Moscow or St. Petersburg as the host city for 2009, we probably won't know for a few weeks.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OFFICIAL: The 2008 results of the Turkish back up jury

Kosovo: RTK wants to enter Eurovision as soon as possible